Skip to main content

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

See other formats


PRINCIPAL  BUILDINGS  IK THE  CITY   OF  MATHUflX.                         177
		
II. — .^AMES OF THE ClTY QUARTERS OR MxHALLAS — (conclutlerl).
		
59 Dharmsate      Raja \    76 Gujarhana.
		93 3Ianik ohauk.

Awa (built by Raja
	77 Roshan-ganj.
	94 Gaja Faesa,

Fltambar Sian).
	78 Bhar-ki gali.
	05 Ghati Bitthal Rae.

60 Dhruva Ghat
	79 Khirki Dalpat Rae.
	90 Simla Ghati.

61  Dhruva tila.
	80 Taj.pura.
	97 Nakarclii ti!a.

62 Bal tila.
	81 Chaubachcha.
	98 Gujur Ghati.

63 Bara Jay Mm Das.
	8*2 SatGhara.
	99 Gail KalaL

84 Generai-ganj.
	83 Chhatta Bazar.
	100 Kaserat.

65 Anta-para
	84 Gali Pathakan.
	101 Gali Durga Chand.

66 Gobind-ganj.
	85 Mandar Parikh Ji.
	102 Bazam.

S7 Chhagan-pnra.
	86 Kazi-para.
	103 Mandavi Ghiva.

€8 Santokii-pura.
	87 Xaya   Bazar (from
	104 Gali Dliusaron ki.

69 ChMh kathauti.
	Mr.Thornton"s time).
	1 Of)  M anoliar-j »ura.

70 Kotwali.                    I    S8 Ghati   chikne   pat-
		106 Kasat-pAra.

71 BharatpurDarwaza. '        baron ki.
		107 Kesopura.

72 Lala-ganj.
	89 Gali Gotawala.
	108 Mandavi Ram Das,

73 Sitala Faesa.
	90 Gaia sram.
	109 llatiya Darwaza.

74 Maholi Pol
	91 Batn kuncL
	110 Dig Darwaxa.

75 NagraPaesa.
	92 Chbonka-para.
	Ill Mahalla khakroban*

IIL—PBINOIPAL BUILDINGS DJT THE CITY OF MATHUBJL.
1.    Harding© Arebj or Holi Darwa2a5 forming the Agra gate of ihe city,
erected by the municipality at a cost of Bs. 13r731.
2.    Temple of BadM Exahan, founded by Deva Chand, Bolira, of Tenda-
Kliem near JaMpiof, in 1870-71.   Cost Bs. 40,000.    In the Chbata Bazar*
3.    Temple of Bijay Gobind, in the Satgliara Mahalla, built in 1867 by
Bijay Ram, Boliraj of Datfia, at a cost of Bs, 65,000.
4.    Temple of Bala Deva^ in the Klnans-kMr Bazas^ built in 1865 by Knsli-
all Mm? Bobra, of Shei>garli3 at a cost of Rs. 25?000.
5.    Temple of Bhairav Kadi, in the LoMrs* qaarterj built by Bistaa Lai,
Khattrij at aoostofEs. 10,000.   It is better known "by the name of Sarvar
Sultan, as it contains a chapel dedicated in honor of that famous Mmhammadan.
saint, regarding whom it may b© of interest to subjoin a few particulars.   The
parent shrine, situate in desert eonntry at the mouth of m pass leading into
Kandahar, is served by a company of some 1,650 priests besides women and
children ; who5 -with the exception of a small grant from Government yielding
an annual income of only Eg. 3503 are entirely dependent for subsistence on the
charity of pilgrim®.   The shrioe is equally reverenced by HinduSj SUdbsj and
Muhammadans, aad it is said to be visited in the course of a year by as many
45